Two years ago, we launched a different type of 3D printer. We wanted to make the amazing world of 3D printing accessible to everyone – not just to engineers and technicians. We believe that everyone should have the opportunity to make their ideas come to life.
We started delivering the 1st generation of the Sculpto 3D printer about a year ago which gave schools and private households access to this, for them, brand-new world. Since then we have refined and developed our production and software even further during the development of the new Sculpto+.
The result is a compact 3D printer with one of the biggest printing areas ever seen on a plug’n’play 3D printer. We have increased the print quality and also eliminated the noise and the hassle of 3D printing – in our view, we have made the perfect personal 3D printer. And the best part is: Everyone is able to use it!
– 1 spool of black filament (0.5 kg)
– 1 Flexible buildplate
To read more about the Sculpto+, please scroll down.Where to buy
- The Sculpto+ 3D printer is almost soundless when printing. This way you can place it anywhere you want without having to worry about the noise.
- The Sculpto+ has a printing volume of 5 litres. That’s up to 5 times as much as other printers in the same category and price range!
- The Sculpto+ delivers high quality printing. There are 3 different quality settings: ‘fine’, ‘normal’ and ‘fast’.
- The Sculpto+ is integrated with Thingiverse. This means that you’re able to print models with just a few clicks in the Sculpto app.
- The Sculpto+ has made it very easy to print your own models. Thanks to our robot in the cloud, you can easily upload your own designs from any given 3D modelling program and print it with only 3 simple settings.
- The Sculpto+ uses biodegradable PLA for printing. PLA is a strong and non-toxic material that is very suitable for 3D printing.
- App integration with slicer software in the cloud
- Build-plate with magnets that is easy to click on and off. Flexible and with Buildtak technology.
- S-curve acceleration that secures a stable printing process.
- Electronics with micro-step motor-controllers
- Bipolar 3D printing making the printer more compact and lighter and giving it a bigger printing volume
- Consumables: Sculpto PLA
- Printing size: 5 litre
- Print area: 20 x 16 cm
- Layer height: down to 0.1 mm
- Connection: Wi-Fi
- Operating system: The Sculpto iOS, Android and Web App.
The Sculpto app is free!
If you want to design your own 3D models, you can find a lot of free 3D modelling programs on the internet.
You can find a lot of different free 3D modelling programs that are easy to use. The Sculpto 3D printer supports most of them – all it takes is for the program being able to export STL files (in other words, files in the file format .stl).
We have tested a bunch of programs that we recommend to beginners and people with little 3D printing experience:
On our Facebook-page you can se some of the things that we have printed in 3D and get inspired!
You can also see the 3D models that are a part of the Sculpto app – you can download the app on Google Play and in App Store.
Or get creative by designing your very own models in e.g. a 3D modelling program.
You can only print in one color at a time on this type of printer. If you wish to print an object in multiple colors, we recommend to divide the object in several smaller parts and print one part at a time in the color of your choice.
Besides that, it’s also possible for you to apply paint to your 3D prints.
The 3D printer pulls a biodegradable plastic material – in the shape of a more than 100 metre long cord – into a hot metal nozzle that melts the plastic material. The nozzle and the surface on which the printer is printing subsequently move in the pattern that you wish to print. This process is repeated layer by layer while the distance of the nozzle to the surface is increased. In this way, the object you want to print is also shaped upwards.
On a Sculpto 3D printer, the metal nozzle is located on a moveable arm whilst the printing surface is rotating circularly beneath the nozzle.
The Sculpto 3D printer uses a biodegradable plastic material called PLA which is made of sugar beets and corn. It’s not toxic and no harmful fumes are released when printing. The PLA is delivered on rolls (called filament) of either 0,5 or 1 kg and you can order it from Sculpto’s webshop.
It exists in various different colors and we are continuously adding new variations to the webshop – see the current selection here
People oftentimes get pleasantly surprised by the price of 3D printing. Mainly, there are two types of costs involved with 3D printing:
1) The printing material: You print using filament that you buy in rolls of 0.5 or 1 kg. In order to save material and time, your 3D prints will never be printed 100 % massive. Instead, the Sculpto 3D printer will print a grid in the solid parts of your models. This grid maintains the strength of the object and saves material. You can adjust the strength by increasing or decreasing the density of the grid.
In other words, it’s the weight of your print object that decides the price. The weight is shown to you before you start the print. The suggested retail price of 1 kg Sculpto filament is 250 DKK. Based on that price, here are a few examples of the cost of 3D printing:
Table-tennis ball: 1,25 DKK
Tennis ball: 3,25 DKK
2) Power: The power consumption of a Sculpto 3D printer is roughly the same as the power consumption of a typical laptop.